Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Milestone #75: The Nursery

At almost 10 months of age, I finally put Lucca in the church nursery....for the 1st time. Anytime we have left Lucca, it's been with our family or a few, maybe 2, close friends. A 2010 goal of mine was to try out MOPS at the local church in Marin to try to get plugged in with other mothers in the area. I have been meaning to do this since October, but schedules and busyness and naptime have all interfered with actually going to MOPS. Oh, and not to mention the fear of putting our most precious possession, our little angel baby in the hands of strangers. Insert mom freak out here. And multiply that by 100 to get Lucca's dad's freak out factor.

My heart was pounding the whole drive to the church. Then started pounding faster as I approached the nursery counter. Then I filled out Lucca's name tag, stuck it on her back, and wanted to cry. As my throat was tightening up so much to the point I could hardly breath, I handed Lucca to the pretty woman who would be watching her for the next 2.5 hours (AKA eternity). I walked out of there as fast as I could to avoid any tears (my own tears), and made my way upstairs to MOPS to experience the longest 2 hours of my life. I stared at the digital screen the whole time, just waiting for Lucca's number to pop up, signifying that she needed something, or just missed her mama too badly. For 2 hours, the screen was blank. My baby was doing just fine.

MOPS was wrapping up and thankfully almost finished. I was getting anxious and wishing time would speed up when all of the sudden I see 804 pop up on the screen. All of the mama's looked at the screen and were asking whose number that was. That was my LUCCA. She needed me. YES, YES, YES! Finally. I have never moved so fast in my entire life as I did flying down those stairs to go rescue my baby! When I got there, she was sobbing. The nice lady assured me she was just soooo tired, which makes sense since we skipped her morning nap to be there.

We walked out to the car, I put Lucca in her carseat, and she was sleeping within minutes. She did so good for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Mama did so good for 2 hours and 15 minutes. It was a big day. We survived, and thankfully we have the next two weeks to recover before the next MOPS meeting :)


Masters Family said...

LOVE it! :)

Mutha K said...

There are milestones in a child's life that are so significant. But there are also milestones in a parent's life. This was a big day for both of you.

swisher sweet said...

Nicely written. I can soooo relate.

lena said...

I too have been meaning to join my local MOPS but something always comes up. Good for you, braving the nursery counter!